Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October Volunteers of the Month

I love when volunteers do a project together. Co-chairs can make a dynamic duo, dividing and conquering the work to create something successful. What makes a co-chair situation even better? When they're sisters, of course!

Helena and Tina have been involved with Heroes for Children in Houston since 2007. They have been a part of the planning committee for Heroes and Handbags for several years. In February of this year, I spoke to the committee about next steps in Houston, specifically bringing our next event, Hold'Em for Heroes to the men of Houston. Immediately following the meeting, Helena and Tina approached me regarding the event.

I loved working with these two women this year. They are multi-tasking professionals and moms who truly care about the mission of the organization. They set out to create a successful event for men to enjoy. They sure did succeed! Hold'Em for Heroes was held last month in Houston, raising more than $63,000 for Heroes for Children, which includes the selling of fifteen laptops for the Laptops for Love program! We have Helena and Tina's leadership to thank for the success of this event.





Name, Occupation:

Helena: Helena Papadopoulos Johnson, Attorney

Tina: Christina “Tina” Papadopoulos Papandreou, Real Estate Attorney, Licensed Texas Real Estate Broker, Wife and Mother of 3 children


How did you get involved with HFC?

Helena: My sister told me about the organization a couple of years ago and I think it is a fantastic cause!

Tina: I was invited to the initial Houston Heroes for Children meeting before the first Heroes for Handbags event. I heard Jenny tell her personal story, was moved to tears, and have been hooked ever since.


Do you have any kids and/or pets?

Helena: Anna Maria 9 and Will 3

Tina: My husband Alexander and I have a nine-year-old boy named Christos, a five-year-old girl named Aphrodite, a two-year-old girl named Mary, and a three-year -old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Panda Bear (she’s really more like our fourth child).


From looking at you, no one would guess that…..

Helena: I am a Trekkie

Tina: I am an avid reader of financial newspapers and love watching CNBC and Bloomberg TV.


Favorite place to eat:

Helena: Right now, Smashburger and Tony's

Tina: My mother’s house. She is a phenomenal cook (especially her Greek food) and you can taste the love that she puts into the preparation of every dish. I would put my Mom up against Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa) any day!


What’s on your book shelf?

Helena: Common Sense, Best American Short Stories, The Lightening Thief (my daughter is reading it)

Tina: I am a history buff and currently am reading Paradise Lost by Giles Milton about the destruction of the city of Smyrna in 1922.


What’s in your iPod/CD changer?

Helena: Lucinda Willians, Led Zeppelin, David Allan Coe, Airborne Toxic Event

Tina: Anything and everything by The Fray, Coldplay and U2.


Who’s your hero?

Helena: Jenny Scott (Editor's note--I could not be more humbled by this, especially coming from a person I respect so highly as Helena!)

Tina: My late Father, Dr CN “Gus” Papadopoulos who passed away in 2007. He immigrated to the US from Greece to attend college when he was 18, and did not speak a word of English. He went on to become an anesthesiologist and successful businessman in Houston. He was my professional mentor. My Father taught me “from those to whom much is given, much is expected.” Working with Heroes for Children has afforded me the opportunity to give back in a small way, and hopefully change people’s lives for the better. It is an honor to work with such a fine charity.


1 comment:

Thomas said...

We are very proud of the hard work, determination, and love that both Helena and Tina have poured into Heroes for Children. It is a wonderful organization, with a caring staff and noble mission. Helena and Tina continue to carry on their parent’s tradition of stewardship to others through the giving of their time and talents to great philanthropic causes. Being a part of Heroes for Children has enriched all of our lives. Congratulations on this honor, we love you both. Thomas, Anna Maria and Will Johnson