Tuesday, September 9, 2008

September Volunteers of the Month

HFC supporters, I must apologize. Our Volunteer of the Month segment has fallen by the wayside since May. Not because we don't have incredible volunteers who have worked through the summertime to help our organization. Of course, we do. It is through no fault of a volunteer, not at all. I take the blame. Between cancer camp, summer vacation with family, and preparations for the fall, I fell short on my Volunteer of the Month responsibility.


Not to worry, we're back and ready to recognize our fabulous volunteers! This month is highlight two women working as committee members for the 5K Run/Walk happening this weekend. Holly Holcomb and Melissa Garfield are more than just co-workers. They are more than just best friends who share work lives together. They are also sisters-in-law! That's right, you read it--best friend sisters-in-law who both work and volunteer together. What a team!
When my daughter Allie had cancer, both ladies followed her story on the internet because my husband worked at their company. Once Heroes for Children began, they started as participants of the 5K and last year were the team captains of the largest team of participants, the Super Sadie team in honor of baby Sadie's battle with cancer (a co-worker's granddaughter). This year, we were so fortunate that they said yes to our reques to serve as members of the Registration Committee for the 5K Run/Walk (did I mention it's happening THIS Saturday? At the Shops at Legacy?? Oh, well, it is, and you should be there!)
Below are Holly and Melissa's answers to our fun Volunteer of the Month questionnaire. I've had the honor and pleasure in getting to know them better this year through our work on this event. Every time I'm with them, I leave smiling. Their kindness exudes into everything they do. They have big hearts and warm smiles, and I'm so glad to share them with you all!
Thank you, ladies for you time and commitment to Heroes for Children. You're terrific!
Name, Age, Occupation:

Holly Holcomb, 38
Escrow Accountant

Melissa Garfield, 38
Escrow Accountant


How did you get involved with HFC?

Holly: I was captivated by Allie’s story, and read her website daily…I attended the candlelight vigil, and was really shocked that I felt like I knew Jenny and Allie. I followed Jenny to her new blog, and found out about HFC. I’ve been a supporter of the charity, and try to fundraise and attend everything I can! I was more than happy when Jenny asked if I wanted to be on the registration committee for the 1mile/5K walk this year!
Melissa: I got involved with HFC after following Allie’s story. I stopped sitting around wondering what I could do to help and finally decided to do something.

Do you have any kids and/or pets?

Holly: Not yet.

Melissa: I got involved with HFC after following Allie’s story. I stopped sitting around wondering what I could do to help and finally decided to do something.
From looking at you, no one would guess that…..

Holly: I’m very shy and insecure
Melissa: I am terrified of frogs. This is not a good thing considering that I have a little boy that thinks that it is hilarious to chase me with those nasty little creatures!

Favorite place to eat:

Holly: ANYTHING Tex-Mex!

Melissa: Unfortunately for my waistline, I’m not a picky eater. I don’t really have a favorite restaurant, but my favorite meals usually involve chips and salsa.

What’s on your book shelf?

Holly: I have the full library of Janet Evanovich books, all 3 of Jen Lancaster’s books, a lot of James Patterson, David Baldacci, Dean Koontz…and I actually bought a Judi Picoult book but haven’t started it.

Melissa: Unfortunately, every book in our house belongs to my husband or my kids. My only contribution to the shelf would be the dust that is on it. I’m not proud of it, but it’s true. I haven’t had the energy to read a book in a very long time.

What’s in your iPod/CD changer?

Holly: Everything under the sun…minus country music. I have Dave Matthews, Sting, One Republic, ABC, Chris Cornell, America, BeeGees, Justin Timberlake, INXS…
Melissa: Along with not keeping up with my reading, I am way behind in the music world. I don’t remember the last CD that I bought and I don’t even own an iPod! When I’m in the car, I just flip through the radio stations, but spend most of the time listening to the bickering in the backseat.

Who’s your hero?

Holly: I can’t name any ONE person! I can just say that anyone who makes me want to be a better person is my hero. That would include my parents, my best friends, my friends through HFC…I believe everyone at one time or another is a true hero.

Melissa: This is a really hard question, but I think that one of the people I look up to most would be Holly. Not only is she my co-worker and sister-in-law, she is also my very best friend. Her kindness goes way beyond that of anyone I’ve ever known. She gives so much of her time and energy to her family and friends, without EVER asking for or expecting anything in return. If someone needs help, she doesn’t hesitate to jump in, most of the time without even being asked. Whether that means watching a niece or nephew at the last minute, picking up food for a sick friend or making a donation of time or money to an organization that she finds worthy, she is there for everyone. I’ve known her for over twenty years and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wished that I could be more like Holly…kind, generous, forgiving, supportive, thoughtful, and selfless. I’m sure she doesn’t know it, but she is and always will be a hero in my eyes.

2 comments:

HollyH said...

we're honored to be chosen as the volunteers of the month! I really appreciate the nice note you wrote about us! (not to mention the crazy part Melissa wrote)...this just makes my year! We are so glad to just help out in any way possible! You guys have grabbed our hearts, and won't let go!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Girls! I know first hand how amazing Holly is! She truly has a heart of gold!

Congrats to you Holly and Melissa! What a great duo! :)
xoxo