We've had a busy week to help families with children with cancer. Just this week, we will spend $17,000 in financial assistance to twenty-two families, ship five laptops to teens living with cancer, and plan two Heroes Milestones events. Our assistance includes:
- Sperm banking for a newly diagnosed teenage boy diagnosed with Germ Cell Carcinoma.
- A laptop for an eighteen year old year girl with a brain tumor who has battled cancer off and on through remissions since the age of twelve. She hopes to begin college in a month while still keeping up with her cancer treatments.
- Financial assistance for a young woman, age 17, and her mother to assist with living expenses while they live in Houston displaced from their Louisiana home due to her impending stem cell transplant.
- Help towards the purchases of basic child needs such as diapers, clothing, and baby food for the siblings of a cancer patient as his treatment has left mom unable to work.
- Funeral assistance for a seventeen year old male who lost his three year long battle with Osteosarcoma, an aggressive bone cancer.
- Two special parties for cancer patients--one a Sweet Sixteen and the other for a seven year old through our Heroes Milestones program. The Sweet Sixteen is for a young girl with Medulloblastoma, a brain tumor. Given less than six months of life to live, she is combining her sixteenth birthday with a Celebration of Life party. This young lady has been very active in the planning and coordination of her party, happening this Saturday night, providing her a distraction for her current situation.