Friday, June 5, 2009

June Volunteer of the Month

You know those people that you can't wait to see again because you love being around so much? For me, Chay Taylor is exactly that type of person. Chay is loving and sweet with a huge heart. She is one of the funniest people I know, keeping me in stitches with her expressions or stories. She's not afraid to be silly (as you will see from her picture below!) and even make fun of herself.

This coming year, Chay has a big role in our success in the Houston area. She is accepted the position as the President of HFC Friends Women's Auxiliary and she's running with it. Our first membership coffee was held in Chay's gorgeous backyard, introducing Houston ladies to HFC Friends and the programs (Holiday Heroes, Heroes Milestones, and the Valentine's Dinner) they will support at MD Anderson and Texas Children's Hospitals for 2009-2010.

If you are interested in joining Chay Taylor and the Houston ladies, please be sure to visit the HFC Friends page and sign up to be a member! Membership helps support the various programs that HFC Friends members do for cancer families throughout the year.

Name, Occupation:

Chay Flores Taylor, stay at home mom and part time go to girl.

How did you get involved with HFC?

Met Jenny at a meeting and knew I had to be involved!

Do you have any kids and/or pets?

One precocious 4 ½ year old named Sam and two labs, Doc and Pancho.

From looking at you, no one would guess that…..

I’m really shy.

Favorite place to eat:

Anything Mexican

What’s on your book shelf?

Tons of historical fiction!

What’s in your iPod/CD changer?

Florida to George Strait to Michael Buble! I love all kinds of music.

Who’s your hero?

My parents, Sally and Rigo Flores, are my heros. I know it is so cliché to say that your parents are your heroes, yet mine have overcome incredible odds and obstacles to live the life they have today. My mother grew up painfully poor in Spain and came to the US at 17 with only one small suitcase and one extra dress. My father grew up as a migrant farm worker in South Texas. Both have worked hard and did they best they had with the cards they were dealt and made an amazing life for our family. They didn’t always do things right but they constantly tried! They were amazing parents and always loved us unconditionally! Only now that I am a parent myself, do I understand and appreciate the sacrifices they have made for our family. They are my heroes, in fact, I’d choose them as friends, which you don’t hear very often!

No comments: