Friday, October 3, 2008

October Volunteer of the Month

Charities need volunteers to assist with so many various tasks. Work can be found in the way of soliciting raffle prizes for an event, coordinating programs to assist the mission of the organization, fundraising for a major event, and so much more. Without those volunteers, our organization would be struggling. It is through the passion and dedication of others we are able to strengthen our mission. But there is the other kind of volunteer too. The kind that doesn't mind coming to the charity office to do data entry, seal envelopes and address mailings. The kind that will come in on a frequent basis to assist with the everyday work that needs to be done in the charity office. The kind that allows those of us at the staff to better do our jobs. This month's Volunteer of the Month highlights someone who is helping us each week complete our office tasks.

After a major event with many new participants, how do you handle the data entry that is involved? Luckily for Heroes for Children, our answer has been call on our volunteer Cindy Morgan! Each week, Cindy takes her spot in front of our volunteer computer to help with input of information. She never complains of the amount of work (which is quite a bit, to be honest), but simply gets to work on the task given to her that week.

We are so thankful for volunteers like Cindy and those others that come to the HFC office. If you are interested in coming to volunteer, please contact our Programs Task Force Coordinator, Christi Disch, for more information. And with that, I'm going to turn it over to Cindy and her answers to our monthly Volunteer of the Month Questionnaire.

Name, Occupation:
Cindy Morgan, Homemaker

How did you get involved with HFC?
I had run one of the HFC 5K races. I was looking for a volunteer opportunity that I believed in –and HFC seemed perfect!


Do you have any kids and/or pets?
1 daughter, 3 dogs


From looking at you, no one would guess that…..
I love movies based on Jane Austen novels.


Favorite place to eat:
I like a lot of places by my favorite is Chipotle. I also like the salads at Cheddars.


What’s on your book shelf?
Several magazines (Better Homes and Gardens, Good Housekeeping, etc). For my birthday I just received The English American by Alison Larkin.


What’s in your iPod/CD changer?
A variety of music from the 70’s (Paul McCartney and Wings) to today (Lifehouse).

Who’s your hero?
I admire people in my life who demonstrate qualities like strength, compassion, and dedication. My husband and my mother are good examples. The leader of my Sunday school class is another.

No comments: